Originally established as a "hay barn" and named - The Colored Church in 1817 by black people who traveled across the Delaware River from Trenton and Princeton, New Jersey to Historic Yardley Borough, Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
In 1877 renamed/founded as The African Methodist Episcopal Church (A.M.E) Church. Built in the simple Victorian board and batten style.
From the Bucks County Conservancy, part of the Heritage application filed by one of the last remaining church members from that time, the late Mrs. Helene Derry Giles.. Many African Americans from this little known neighborhood of Yardley Borough's Historic District, actively worshiped here until about the late 1980s. This historic landmark is now managed by and the home of Gather Place, a non-profit organization formed in July of 2022, by Bucks County Court appointed conservator, Shirley Lee Corsey
Proceeds from this to be utilized for the restoration of the Old A.M.E Church of Yardley, Pa. Bucks County
The home of Gather Place, a non-profit organization.
This historic landmark is now reopened with a new mission under the conservatorship of Shirley Lee Corsey, and is being restored through donations & grants